When you are going through a tough time in your life, you often look to others who have went through something similar to you. At least, that’s what I do. There’s a great comfort in knowing that you are not alone and aren’t the first person to go through something hard. So, I researched which celebrities have had cancer and thought you all would find it interesting. Some of them were quite a shock!
- Cobie Smulders. This How I Met Your Mother actress secretly battled ovarian cancer at age 25 while filming season 3 of the show. She had surgery to remove the tumors from her ovaries, but the cancer spread to her lymph nodes. She had to get multiple surgeries for the next two years. She didn’t open up about it until 2015.
- Erin Andrews. This Fox Sports reporter opened up in January 2017 that she secretly battled cervical cancer during the NFL season. She went through two surgeries in October and November 2016 for the cancer.
- Shannen Doherty. In March 2015, Doherty was diagnosed with breast cancer. She underwent a mastectomy, chemotherapy and radiation all as part of her treatment.
- Rita Wilson. Tom Hanks’ wife opened up in April 2015 about her diagnosis with lobular carcinoma, which is a type of breast cancer. She went through a bilateral mastectomy and reconstructive surgery.
- Giuliana Rancic. E! News reporter and television personality announced in October 2011 that she had an early stage breast cancer. She first went through a double lumpectomy, but then decided to get a bilateral mastectomy.
- Sharon Osbourne. In July 2002, Osbourne was diagnosed with colon cancer. She had to get surgery to remove a portion of her large intestine and some lymph nodes. She then underwent chemotherapy and it was even documented on her family’s reality show, The Osbournes.
- Kylie Minogue. This singer was diagnosed with early stage breast cancer in May 2005. As part of her treatment, she received surgery and chemotherapy.
- Hoda Kotb. Co-host of the Today show was diagnosed with breast cancer in February 2007. She received a mastectomy, but didn’t have to go through chemotherapy, since her tumor was discovered so early.
- Sheryl Crow. This musician was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma in her left breast in 2006. She went through treatment that included a lumpectomy and 7 weeks of radiation.
- Edie Falco. While filming The Sopranos in 2003, she was diagnosed with breast cancer. She underwent chemotherapy, but kept her diagnosis private until she was ready to open up about it in 2004.
- Robin Roberts. Co-anchor of Good Morning America announced in September 2007 that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer and that she would be undergoing chemotherapy and radiation treatment. She beat the cancer, but in June 2012 she revealed that she was diagnosed with a different type of cancer, myelodysplastic syndrome which affects blood and bone marrow. She received a bone marrow transplant harvested from her sister.
- Christina Applegate. In 2008, this actress was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 36. She went through a bilateral mastectomy as part of her treatment. She actually went on to found Right Action For Women, which is a nonprofit organization to help women find information about cancer.
P.S. Source Used: http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/celebrities/celebrities-who-ve-had-cancer-1.1495619